SORA stands for Specific Operations Risk Assessment. SORA is a multi-stage process risk assessment aiming at risk analysis of certain unmanned aircraft operations (BVLOS) as well as defining necessary mitigations and robustness levels.
Hover UAV has extensive experience in working through the SORA process with regulators and clients delivering outcomes that can unlock the full potential of Unmanned Aerial Systems.
If you need assistance or further information contact us here.


BVLOS – “Beyond Visual Line of Sight” is considered the frontier of the drone industry in today’s current climate. It means that drones fly beyond the visual line of sight of the operator which for most commercial drone operators is a foreign concept due to regulatory requirements and operational constraints in particular reliability of equipment. Advantages of BVLOS operations  are that they enable service providers to introduce more complex operations and capabilities such as drone delivery or long range inspections.
Hover UAV conducts BVLOS flight operations daily at multiple sites across Australia and overseas. If you require BVLOS operations to enhance work flows within your RPAS operations do not hesitate to get in contact with Hover UAV.


JARUS is a group of experts gathering regulatory expertise from all around the world. The purpose of JARUS,  is “to recommend a single set of technical, safety and operational requirements for all aspects linked to the safe operation of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (RPAS).
Joint Authorities for Rule-making on Unmanned Systems (JARUS).


EVLOS – Extended Visual Line of Sight. All EVLOS operations must be approved by CASA. EVLOS provides an opportunity to fly further than your standard VLOS (Visual line of sight) requirements. 
EVLOS Class 1 operation is where pilot and observer are in the same location using verbal communication.  
EVLOS Class 2 operation is where pilot and observer are located in different locations with communication systems.
To discuss these and all other requirements to operate EVLOS operations please contact Hover UAV.

RPAS in Australia

Certifications and exemptions obtained by Hover UAV?

We hold a current (CASA Approved) UAV Operators Certificate Cert no/. CASA.UOC.286.

How much notice do I need to give before work can start commencing on my project?

Planning a project is critical to ensure operations will be safe to others using the airspace as
well as to personnel on the ground. We also need to seek the appropriate regulatory
approvals to conduct such operations. Contact us as soon as you know the specific dates of
your upcoming aerial project.

Does Hover UAV Have Current Insurance?

Yes. We have current insurance in place to operate Australia wide. This includes public liability insurance of $20,000,000. If required amendments to insurance arrangements can be altered depending on your project.

What is an Operators Certificate?

An RPAS Operators Certificate or ReOC, is a mandated regulatory requirement for companies
that wish to apply commercial operations using UAVs.
● There must be a company structure in place
● A safety management system that states all procedures the company is to adhere to
● An extensive catalog of manuals and only when the above is fulfilled a
practical/oral exam is conducted displaying flight skills.
● We have conducted all of the above and have been issued a ReOC.

Does Hover UAV seek complex approvals for clients?

Yes, Hover UAV works closely with the regulator to provide approvals for complex operations incorporating such things as SORA, BVLOS, and EVLOS. Hover UAV also manages large drone fleets that have a high demand for approval processes through local, state, and federal jurisdictions.

What is the Hover UAV – BVLOS Hub?

Hover UAV has a CASA-approved Remote Command Centre, as part of our BVLOS HUB, providing the ability to remotely manage flights in any location across Australia, or, in fact, any linked location worldwide. This includes the capability of One-to-Many operations – managing multiple flights in multiple locations concurrently.

Where do recreational drone operators go to find the rules and where they are permitted to fly?

If you own a drone, it’s important that you understand the rules that keep you and others safe. You’ll find all the information you need on recreational flying on the CASA website. Test your own knowledge with this practice quiz on Australian drone safety rules.


Do you offer training for RePL/Where would you recommend getting my RePL?

Yes – please contact us to arrange training for your Remote Pilot Licence.

How do I start flying BVLOS with the drones I have?

You’ll first have to determine if your drone is suitable for the objectives of your project. We can help you develop a concept of operations and suggest a suitable drone or help you tailor your project to the drones you already have.

Can I fly more than one drone at a time? One-to-Many

At Hover UAV, we are fully equipped to assist you in comprehending and utilising the complete potential of your drones. We can collaborate with you to implement various drone applications as well. Moreover, commercial drone operators may submit requests to the regulator for authorisation to fly multiple drones simultaneously, which is known as One-to-Many.

Do you offer your services internationally?

Hover UAV has expanded its operations to New Zealand, broadening its service coverage to include both the Australian and New Zealand markets. Moreover, the company has undergone regulatory approval procedures in various countries, such as the United Kingdom and Saudi Arabia, with plans to secure more approvals in other nations. Hover UAV has worked with multiple international operators and regulators and can provide support to your organization, regardless of your geographical location.

Do you offer more than just consulting?

At Hover UAV, we provide a comprehensive array of solutions tailored to meet the specific needs of our clients. Our services include Proof of Concept Development, Compliance Management, Complex Operational Approvals, Operations Support Services, Operational Support, and Outsourced Staffing. To delve into our services in detail, please visit our services page.

Cost and process assistance with obtaining ReOC

Unmanned Approval's current processing fee for a standard application is $1100.00. That fee must be paid upfront at the time the application is submitted. Unmanned Approvals aims to have ReOCs issued within 14 days of receipt of the complete application package. When submitting your application you should ensure that you are able to allocate time within the next few days to complete the job scenario and telephone interview components of the assessment.

Information on obtaining a BVLOS rating for drone operations

Here at Hover UAV, we are BVLOS specialists. Our consulting team is ready and waiting to help you start implementing BVLOS into your drone operations. For all the information regarding BVLOS and how we can help you from beginning to end, click here.

I wanted to see if you have a service to help me obtain an EVLOS approval

Absolutely, here a Hover UAV we specialise in approvals of all kinds. To find out more about our services, click here.

Australian Recreational Drone Regulations


If you own a drone, it’s important that you understand the rules that keep you and others safe.
You’ll find all the information you need on recreational flying on the CASA website.
Test your own knowledge with this practice quiz on Australian drone safety rules.

RPAS in New Zealand

Do you need a drone pilot certificate to operate your drone?

You can operate under Civil Aviation Rules, Part 101 without being certificated by the CAA.

How the Civil Aviation Authority New Zealand (CAA) manages UAV aircraft

As a drone operator – you are an aircraft operator (pilot). The new CAA rules mean that anyone wanting to operate a higher-risk UAV (outside basic rules such as daylight flight and under 400 feet above ground level) will need to engage with and be certificated by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).
Anyone operating a UAV will only be issued with certification if they have satisfied CAA (or certified training organisation) that the operator is aware of associated safety risks with a plan in place to mitigate those risks.

How long will it take to obtain certification for the use of UAVs? How much will the certification cost?

This depends on the complexity of the proposed UAV operation. CAA is the governing body that is primarily responsible for enforcing the rules. Every UAV operation, regardless of size, weight or performance of the unmanned aircraft are required to operate in compliance with all appropriate Civil Aviation Rules. These rules change depending on your circumstances and what you are using your drone for. For information on which rules will apply in particular circumstances, you can visit: www.caa.govt.nz/rpas or www.airshare.co.nz portal to assist UAV RPAS, pilots including flight planning with Airways.

Yes, Hover UAV works closely with the regulator to provide approvals for complex operations incorporating such things as SORA, BVLOS, EVLOS. Hover UAV also manages large drone fleets that have a high demand for approval processes through local, state and federal jurisdictions.
UAV’s and Airspace in New Zealand

New Zealand airspace is divided up into many different classifications in order to help maintain appropriate levels of safety in particular areas. Every airspace has its own risks and subsequent safety requirements, especially in airspaces near aerodromes, or used by the military.

Flying in a public area

You can fly in public areas providing you have the consent of the property owner and all people in the public area. For public spaces, the property owner is likely to be a local council or the Department of Conservation.
If you want to fly your drone over people or property, you will need consent from them to do so under Rule Part 101. Flying over a large group of people at a public event is likely to be regarded as a hazardous operation, which is outside the bounds of Rule Part 101.
You can still do this as long as your operation is approved under Part 102, which involves getting the Civil Aviation Authority to certify your operation or approval from local or regional authorities.

How do I get my 101/102 approval?

The first step in acquiring part 101 or 102 approval/certificate is to visit the Aviation Security
Service website and follow their guidelines as to what you need to know and do before you start flying. Their website will take you through the guidelines and procedures that need to be followed depending on which certification/approval you are seeking.

What is a shielded Operation

Shielded operations within 4 km of aerodromes

If you are relying on a shielded operation to fly your unmanned aircraft within 4 km of an aerodrome, then in addition to remaining within 100 meters of, and below the height of the object providing the shield, there must also be a physical barrier like a building or stand of trees between your unmanned aircraft and the aerodrome. This barrier must be capable of stopping your aircraft in the event of a fly-away.

Before conducting a shielded operation, make sure you familiarise yourself with the rules in Part 101, and the advice in the advisory circular.

I have a UAS Pilot Certificate (Part 102 Operations). Does that mean I have a Part 102 certificate?

No, you hold the pilot qualification that enables you to fly for an organisation that holds a Part 102 certificate. To obtain a Part 102 certificate you must submit an application to CAA that details how you will operate.

I have a UAS Pilot Certificate (Part 102 Operations). Does that mean I can fly over property without permission?

No. Until you are operating under the authority of a Part 102 certificate issued by the CAA then you must continue to fly under the Part 101 rules. If you are operating under the authority of a Part 102 certificate issued by CAA then you must comply with the procedures approved by CAA.

Which certification is required for BVLOS?

For BVLOS or EVLOS you will be required to have a Part 102 certificate issued by CAA.

New Zealand – Part 101 rules when flying your drone


You might consider your drone to be a fun toy, but did you know it’s an aircraft? There are rules you need to follow while flying to keep yourself, others, and your aircraft safe. To find out more about these rules please lok up the CAA of  New Zealand website

Subscribe to our newsletter

Sign up to our mailing list to review the latest
industry news and Hover UAV updates.

One of the World's Leading
Drone Experts

At Hover UAV we assist drone programs from conception to full implementation. We are a passionate team of experts, with diverse skill sets and backgrounds gained in sectors such as maritime, crewed aviation, defense, corporate and engineering sectors.

© 2023 Hover UAV. All Rights Reserved.